Why a gay Christian would transit from a liberal church to a conservative one

So I attended my very first DG (Discipleship Group aka Cell Group) for 2017 last night.

It was a great time of discussion on the book of Luke and we even prayed for each other after the sharing was done. The people were all kind to me, a newcomer, and took time to listen to my questions and answer them.

Still, I had a niggling feeling that might change if I came out to them. 

I might be wrong. They could possibly be accepting of gay people.

But even that might change if I revealed that I was involved in a relationship with a person of the same sex.

At Adam Road Presbyterian Church (ARPC), the senior pastor had talked about the topic of sexuality once before, late last year, at the Saturday youth ministry session, which I attended with my partner.

It was all sensible and pastoral. I liked it that he encouraged the parents in particular to journey with their children if they came out to them.
But at the beginning of the year, in the very first service last Sunday, I was dismayed to find out that when he preached against dying to pleasure (as part of dying to possessions, to position, to pride), that he put a photo similar to something like this:

Dying to pleasure?

Source: http://www.remotelands.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/taipei-gay-pride.jpg

I happen to know a great many celibate gay Christians committed to following the traditional Christian sexual ethic and I felt that the picture was a gross demonisation of gay people in general.

Felt like writing him a letter in protestation but then decided against it as I felt the Holy Spirit prompting.

Anyway, back to the topic.

In my previous church, although some cell group members were aware of my same-sex relationship and were generally accepting, the theology the church was preaching seemed more and more problematic over time.

It felt diluted and more self-help like than biblical and when I randomly chanced upon ARPC, it was like a breath of fresh air. After 2 years of struggling to wake up on Sunday morning, I now look forward to attending Sunday services to hear the gospel.

I must admit, it is difficult. 

Denying oneself of pleasure that heterosexual couples take for granted certainly is.

But that’s the cost of following Christ isn't it?

It’s not about my happiness, it is about obeying the Lord.

He was whipped and crucified alive, so who am I to talk about suffering?

Some may say it’s masochistic, but this is the life I’ve chosen.

I may not live a perfect Christian life, but I try my best to adhere to the calling of Christ.

Anyway, I’m rambling and shall end this post here since I kinda made my point.

Happy 2017!

Popular posts from this blog

Why a gay person gets sad when attending traditional weddings