Julie Rodgers - Freedom through Constraint (a video)


I just watched this video for the third time and the 19 minutes passed by once again in a flash. Julie Rodgers is that captivating to watch. Her story helps too. I find that a lot of what she says resonates with me, perhaps because I've reached the same conclusions as she has at this point in my life.

If you've been reading her story on her blog, you'll have learnt that she developed a relationship with Jesus at a young age, but also found herself attracted to girls pretty early on. After years of struggling, she came out to her family who promptly whisked her to an ex-gay ministry where she spent the next 9 - 10 years "being loved really well", yet never experiencing an orientation change. Find out more about her story in the video, I won't spoil it for you.

Well, I do realise that having role models like her is really encouraging for people like me. I have yet to meet another gay person in the large megachurch that I belong to and in the meantime, I'm finding solace in the small group of trusted friends I've come out to in church that have been incredibly supportive and in the lovely support group ladies that I've met through Choices. Till then, I look forward eagerly to the day when I meet someone just like me at City Harvest. Haha. Let's see how long it takes...

Popular posts from this blog

Why a gay Christian would transit from a liberal church to a conservative one

Why a gay person gets sad when attending traditional weddings

A response to an anthropologist