Support

So I created this blog in the hopes of providing some support to the LGBTQ+ Christian in Singapore. I sometimes wonder if I am fulfilling that purpose because I don't hear from anyone, and the blog statistics do not tell me if I have repeat visitors. But no matter, I shall persevere. And of course, you're most welcome even if you're not Christian, or LGBTQ+ for that matter. I'm pretty inclusive.

Support is so important. We are all called to be part of the body of Christ because everyone can contribute. It's vital to be part of community. That's why they created isolation cells as a form of torture in prison. I heard that people can go crazy in there.

And so, it was just around 3 years ago that I was beginning to go crazy with the non-stop fantasies in my mind. I didn't know where they came from, I only knew that they wouldn't go away. And so I confided in my cell leader who could only pray for me. I was that close to going to a gay club and acting out with any random stranger I would find there.

That was when I googled and discovered the ministry of Choices by Church of our Saviour. It was literally a lifesaver. I started attending counselling and eventually joined a support group there. It was wonderful. To know that I wasn't alone in this was actually very liberating. I found people that could identify with me and we could speak frankly about issues that we faced. Contrary to popular belief, they don't run a conversion therapy programme there and try to turn people straight. I am still pretty gay by my standards.

I really thank God for the ministry of Choices. It's different discussing your (gay) problems with your cell group and with a support group. The level of understanding is very different. And although my season with them is now over, I do hope that every Christian facing difficult issues in their life would have a support system they can turn to for prayer and for counsel.

And if you don't, I'm always here to listen. I might not provide the best counsel, nor will I be the perfect confidant, but I'm here. That's all I can offer. :)

Rachel
agaysingaporeanchristian@gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Why a gay Christian would transit from a liberal church to a conservative one

Why a gay person gets sad when attending traditional weddings

A response to an anthropologist