Being different

I met a trans girl at Pelangi Pride Centre last week and chatted with her among others. It was quite interesting getting to know her and hearing about her life. At the end of the day, I kinda felt like she was just an ordinary human being, like the rest of us. A child that God loves. 

I've been thinking about "different-ness" lately. Being gay, I do feel rather different from most of the people around me, for I am but a minority. Which led me to think about other people who are classified as being "different" from regular folks. 

The disabled. Criminals. Dropouts. These are but a few in a very long list that is essentially a human construct. 

Why are those who are labelled as being "different" feel that way? Could it be because of the way "regular" folks treat us? 

I'll be honest. I don't wish to be different. If there were a pill I could take to make me heterosexual, I'd take it in a heartbeat. Perhaps some may say that I don't accept myself, who I am, how God's created me, but it's just so difficult being different. 

That's why everyone wants to fit in I suppose. In school, most seek to conform and it's only those with an adventurous streak that don't. 

Yet, it dawned on me that apart from twins, all of us have a different face. And even for twins, they possess different fingerprints. Could it be that God made "different" to be beautiful? Could it be, that every one of us is a breathtaking masterpiece by our Creator, even if we don't feel it?

Could it be?

And so, perhaps we ought to be celebrated. Every single one of us. Dear Lord, help me learn to celebrate myself today. Amen. 

Popular posts from this blog

Why a gay Christian would transit from a liberal church to a conservative one

Why a gay person gets sad when attending traditional weddings

A response to an anthropologist