Book review: God and the Gay Christian by Matthew Vines


I've been following a couple of blogs and following on twitter dealing with LGBT issues in America. Last year, the one of the more controversial focal points was on a newly published book - God and the Gay Christian by Matthew Vines.

This book leans towards the progressive stance, and argues for same-sex marriage equality. Matthew Vines took a year off school from Harvard and went to research in depth on the various "clobber verses" in the Bible against homosexuality. (They are often used to "clobber" people with you see.)

Well, someone sent me an ebook compiled by leading Christian authorities that was a series of counter arguments against the book. This I have not read. But this intrigued me to no end and I was determined to get the book to see what the fuss was all about. 

The book is well written but I don't agree with all the conclusions Vines makes. I actually have half a mind to blog about the clobber passages here on this blog. But we shall see how that pans out in the coming weeks.  

Meanwhile you can watch his 5 minute YouTube video here to have a glimpse on what the fuss is all about and form your own conclusions - http://youtu.be/gmp6lLct-fQ

Popular posts from this blog

Why a gay Christian would transit from a liberal church to a conservative one

A response to an anthropologist