X-dot (X-Men & Pink Dot)

I finally caught the latest X-Men movie, Days of Future Past, last Saturday. It was brilliant. I thought I'd blog about both the movie and the Pink Dot event because I felt like they were pretty related.

In X-Men, one line that stuck in my head was this:

"People are often afraid of the things they do not know."

I reckon that many in white that 28 June 2014 probably fall into that category. Of course, this is largely an assumption on my part but a valid assumption nonetheless. They probably (I'm assuming again) don't have a gay friend, or if they do, they probably don't have quality conversations with him/her. If they did, they'd probably realise that the average gay person doesn't have a "homosexual agenda". He or she just wants to love and be loved. That's it. That's all.

Yes, there are activists with an agenda, but they are few and far between. In any case, the government has indicated that it will not shift in its stance until the majority do, so repealing 377A is out of the question. Why are you so worried my friend? And even if it is repealed, how will it affect the basic family unit? I could go on on how there are a multitude of family structures out there, single parent, grandparent only, etc, but the arguments are out there and you can read it.

But what I want to talk about is this: How will wearing white in protest reflect Jesus whom we are following?

Jesus is the man who ate with the tax collectors and prostitutes while the Pharisees looked on in contempt. Jesus is the man who talked to the woman at the well who was ostracised. Jesus is the man who agreed to dine with Zacchaeus, the chief tax collector.

He didn't call out their sin immediately. He first befriended them, spent quality time with them, and it was the love of God that transformed them. Zacchaeus, on his own accord, said that he would restore four times the amount of anyone he'd cheated. The woman at the well went to tell all her friends about Jesus.

And while we are at it, what is the sin?

Is love a sin?

Is orientation a sin?

What is the sin?

Think about it.




~




On a different note, I thought that Pink Dot 2014 was extremely well organised. I loved how the community tents had booths that people could go to to find out more about the resources available for the LGBT person. I also collected a free pink flashlight and I LOVE it!

My friends and I reached Hong Lim Park at around 5pm and managed to get a spot about 30 metres from the main stage. We had a pretty good view.

The community voices were great. Rather repetitive at times, but you can't really help that. I thought SKL0 was pretty cool. Mr Miyagi's kid was pretty cute. And the emcee was pretty good.

We left 5 minutes after the concert started at 6.30pm because I was bored, the music was mediocre and my friend didn't like loud music. (I heard the concert got better at some point?) We spent a good 3 hours at the nearby Chinatown Point sipping coffee and having an insightful conversation.

Keep up the excellent work Pink Dot volunteers and organizers, we might be back next year. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Why a gay Christian would transit from a liberal church to a conservative one

Why a gay person gets sad when attending traditional weddings